Tonight's best bets
• "Smallville," 8 p.m. on The CW. While at a fundraiser, Lois (Erica Durance) sees the Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) steal a rare diamond necklace off Martha's (Annette O'Toole) neck - and vows to find the man behind the costume. Clark (Tom Welling) does some investigating of his own, and discovers Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow - and he's been making like Robin Hood (stealing from the rich and giving to the poor) for a while now. Meanwhile, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) enlists Lionel's (John Glover) help in testing Lana's (Kristin Kreuk) loyalty.
• "Ugly Betty," 8 p.m. on ABC. After Mode is forced to abandon its big Christmas photo shoot - because of another magazine stealing the idea - Betty (America Ferrera) forms an unlikely alliance with fellow assistants Marc (Michael Urie) and Amanda (Becki Newton). The trio fears they might have leaked the idea to someone (guest star Nicholas Gonzalez) at the competing mag during a recent happy hour. Are they soon to be collecting unemployment? Later, Daniel (Eric Mabius) and Wilhemina (Vanessa Williams) reluctantly work together to come up with another yuletide spread as Betty's nephew Justin (Mark Indelicato) joins Mode to research a class project.
• "ER," 10 p.m. on NBC. Tonight's "ER" tells most of its story in the style of Akira Kurosawa's 1950 film "Rashomon" - where each affected character offers a different account of an event, rendering the truth difficult to verify. Kovac (Goran Visnjic) and County General Hospital are being sued by stroke patient Curtis Ames (guest star Forest Whitaker), who claims mistreatment at the hands of the moody doctor. Both parties offer varying accounts of his care. Meanwhile, fresh of maternity leave, Abby (Maura Tierney) worries that she won't remember how to be a doctor; later, she and Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) try an unconventional method for treating a heart patient.
• "Good Morning America," 7 a.m., ABC: Author Kati Marton ("The Great Escape''); Hugh Jackman; excerpts from an interview with President George Bush.
• "Today," 7 a.m., NBC: Vince Gill performs; author Barack Obama ("The Audacity of Hope''); the "Project Runway'' winner; coat fashion show; gnocchi; training.
• "The Early Show," 8 a.m., CBS: Author Ariel Levy ("Female Chauvinist Pigs''); chef Bobby Flay.
• "Live with Regis and Kelly," 9 a.m., ABC: Hugh Jackman; Danity Kane performs; Regis challenges an 86-year-old to a game of tennis.