True confession. I love wallpaper, but I'm intimidated by it. As faux finishes have fallen from fashion, wallpaper is experiencing a renaissance. Sumptuous, colorful patterns abound: flocked damasks, retro prints, hand-blocked patterns, even rolls imprinted with acid-etched magnolia leaves.
The beads in Ronald Redding design “Gypsy” are made from recycled windshield glass and metallic inks. Not my mother’s wallpaper (which was tan and black plaid and covered our kitchen walls; very au courant in the early ’70s for small-town western North Dakota).
But while the choices have never been better, and removal of these next-generation papers has never been easier, I’m still stymied (and scarred from the experience of pasting the nursery walls with oversized turquoise gingham checks almost 15 years ago). How much pattern is too much? Doing one wall is alleged to make a statement. (And I fear what it’s saying is, “This chick has no taste.”)
Check out this homage to wall decor: a dried moss pattern covering the interior walls of the home of Oki Sato (tiny.cc/uLNft), whose Tokyo firm, Nendo (www.nendo.jp/en/), specializes in architecture, interiors, product, graphic, furniture and event design. The design*sponge blog credits the design to Japanese artist Asami Kiyokawa, Oki’s wife. Now that’s a wall covering.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Rev up your view of the world – and catch a portent of spring – with some of the season’s bright new wallcoverings:
• “Gypsy” in blue with gold glass beads from Monogram by Ronald Redding. $110 per single roll, 27 inches wide and 9 yards long. Redding mixes recycled windshield glass with metallic glitter and inks so the design stands in relief. Find locations at www. ronaldreddingdesigns.com or 1-800-220-6730.
• “Guinevere” in cream on citron from Medley by Ronald Redding. $79.99 per single roll, 27 inches wide and 9 yards long. Find locations at www.ronaldredding designs.com or call 1-800-220-6730.
• “Peony” in blue, one of three new designs in the Chelsea Papers collection by Farrow & Ball, $320 per double roll, 21 inches wide and 11 yards long. Available from F&B beginning in March. Available to the public through the IMS Design Connection at 612-330-9448.
• “Leblond” flocked velvet acanthus leaf design from the Darly collection, Designers Guild; 201/2 inches wide and 11 yards long with a repeat of a little more than 28 inches. Available to the public through the IMS Design Connection at 612-330-9448.
• “Flower Power” Echo Design by Kenneth James, $69 per single roll, 201/2 inches wide and 11 yards long. Available through Hirshfield’s, Sherwin Williams, Lowe’s and Menards; call Brewster Home Fashions, 1-800-366-1700 for other retailers.
• “Moment” black and silver leaf print from the Essence collection for Graham & Brown. $70 per double roll; 201/2 inches wide and almost 33 feet long. See www. grahambrown.com/us or 1-800-554-0887 to order.