Driver was DUI suspect

The Auburn woman who allegedly caused a deadly collision Monday evening while fleeing from police was in serious condition Tuesday at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center.

The driver of the car she rammed broadside was killed in the collision, police said.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office identified him Tuesday as Douglas Simmons III, 40, of Fife.

His passenger, a 42-year-old woman from Oregon City, Ore., was in serious condition Tuesday at Madigan Army Medical Center.

The Washington State Patrol was investigating the crash, which happened at Porter Way and Pacific Highway East in Milton. The Auburn woman, 36, was allegedly traveling at speeds up to 80 miles per hour as she attempted to elude a pursuing Federal Way officer when the collision occurred.

The News Tribune is not identifying the woman because she has not been charged in the crash.

The State Patrol is looking into whether drugs or alcohol was a factor in the fatal crash.

The pursuit began after the Federal Way police officer saw the woman’s 1988 Honda Accord weaving in traffic, police spokeswoman Cathy Schrock said.

The driver sped up when she apparently saw the marked police car at Pacific Highway South and Southwest 356th Street, Schrock said.

Officer Ashley Crispin tried to get the car to stop using his patrol car’s flashing lights. Instead, the driver took off at high speeds, heading south on Pacific Highway South, Schrock said.

Using his car’s lights and sirens, Crispin chased the car because the incident involved suspected driving under the influence and reckless driving, Schrock said.

The department’s pursuit policy allows officers to start a chase when suspected drunken or reckless driving puts the public at risk, Schrock said.

Crispin called in the pursuit to his supervisor and chased the Accord for about 90 seconds and less than 2 miles, Schrock said. The officer then came upon the wrecked Accord, which had hit Simmons’ Volkswagen Jetta on the driver’s side, killing him.

Schrock said she didn’t know how fast the officer’s car was traveling during the pursuit. Records from 911 said the Accord was going up to 80 mph, Schrock said.

Based on the department’s preliminary review of the incident, “the officer’s actions all appear to be within stated policy,” Schrock said. The department will complete an administrative review in about two weeks.

Crispin, 29, joined the department in 2006. He is on paid administrative leave, standard practice after a traumatic incident, Schrock said.

Investigators said the Auburn woman had two warrants for her arrest.

She also was convicted in 2008 of attempted unlawful possession of crack cocaine in Pierce County. She was sentenced to 40 days in jail and ordered to undergo drug treatment.