Don't go to the Puyallup Fairgrounds if you're looking for a job at this year's Puyallup Fair.
For the first time, all applications for positions at the annual gathering will be taken online.
No more long lines, no more waiting to get in the door of the Employment Security Department trailer. In 2010, potential employees will apply on a keyboard.
According to fair spokeswoman Karen LaFlamme, applicants must apply online – starting at 8 a.m. Monday – by going to www.go2worksource.com.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“Applications will not be accepted in person at the Puyallup Fair & Events Center,” LaFlamme said in a release this week.
The fair each year hires approximately 3,000 workers and plans to hire a similar number in 2010 for the event, which runs from Sept. 10 through the 26th.
Jobs will be available in food service, cashier, sales, cleaning and maintenance, ride setup, rides and games. Information about the jobs will be posted on the website.
Wages begin at $8.55 per hour, with some paying more based on duties and skills required.
Applicants who do not have computer access at home may use computers at these locations:
• WorkSource offices: Open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday in Tacoma at 1305 Tacoma Ave. S., Suite 201, and in Lakewood at 5712 Main St. S.W., Suite 200.
• Pierce County Library System: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 1-5 p.m. Sunday.
Locations include Gig Harbor at: 4424 Point Fosdick Drive N.W.; Lakewood at 6300 Wildaire Road S.W.; Parkland/Spanaway at 13718 Pacific Ave. S.; South Hill at 15420 Meridian E., and Sumner at 1116 Fryar Ave.
• Puyallup Library: Open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday to Thursday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday at 218 W. Pioneer.
The Pierce County Library System also has three mobile units equipped with computers, and will make the following stops, where people can apply.
• Puyallup Fairgrounds, Ninth Avenue S.W. between Fourth and Fifth streets S.W. on Aug. 2, 3 and 4.
• Sumner Library, 1116 Fryar Ave., Aug. 12, 20, 25 and 27.
• Graham, 9202 224th St. E., Aug. 13, 17 and 20.
As vendors contact WorkSource with their staffing needs, applicants will be contacted and given an interview date and time.
To qualify, prospective employees must be at least 16 years old and be able to provide picture ID as well as proof of legal right to work, which would include a Social Security card or alien registration card.