Fire crews responded to a natural gas leak reported in downtown Olympia early Thursday, according to Olympia Fire Department’s deputy chief Greg Wright.
A worker at a business near Fifth Avenue Southeast and Washington Street Southeast called 911 at about 1:30 a.m. to report the smell of gas in the area, Wright said.
Wright said fire crews determined the leak was in a trench that utility crews were using on Wednesday. They turned the scene over to Puget Sound Energy at about 4 a.m., he said.
“The line was capped at that point, and it was no longer in danger,” Wright said.