Suspect was wanted at time of Lakewood shooting

The felon charged with fatally shooting an armored car guard at the Lakewood Wal-Mart on Tuesday was being sought on a nationwide warrant at the time of the killing, the chief of the state Department of Corrections said Friday.

A warrant was issued for Calvin Finley’s arrest Feb. 17 when he failed to report to his community corrections officer, and a special department unit that searches for fugitive offenders was assigned to start looking for him, corrections Secretary Eldon Vail wrote in a memorandum to the agency’s employees.

“The next day, the staff forwarded Finley’s case to our Community Response Unit, which coordinated with the FBI, the U.S. Marshals Service, the Drug Enforcement Administration and local law enforcement to search for him,” Vail wrote in the memo, a copy of which was obtained by The News Tribune.

Spokesman Chad Lewis said Friday that the department made the extra effort to find Finley, 34, because he had been assessed as a dangerous person likely to commit violence.

He also was wanted on warrants for failing to appear in Lakewood and Tacoma municipal courts for numerous violations, according to jail records.

Finley remained at large until Wednesday, when a police SWAT team arrested him near a Fife motel in the shooting death of Loomis guard Kurt Husted, 39. Prosecutors charged him Thursday with aggravated first-degree murder and might seek the death penalty against him.

Finley was aware that authorities were looking for him, and “he was hiding quite a bit” in the months before the shooting, Lewis said.

Also Friday, Pierce County prosecutors charged an 18-year-old woman with rendering criminal assistance and obstructing a police officer in Husted’s death.

Brittney Marie Maas-Baines pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Superior Court Judge Frederick Fleming ordered her jailed in lieu of $1 million bail at the request of deputy prosecutor Mark Lindquist, who said he was concerned Maas-Baines might further try to hinder the investigation if released from jail.

Police believe she helped her boyfriend, Marshawn Turpin, with “transportation after the murder and lied to police about her involvement when first interviewed,” Lakewood police Lt. Heidi Hoffman said Friday.

Maas-Baines has denied knowing her boyfriend was involved in the fatal attack on Husted, according to court documents.

Turpin, 20, also is charged with aggravated first-degree murder in Husted’s death. Prosecutors believe he grabbed money from Husted after Finley shot the guard.

Both men have pleaded not guilty, as have 42-year-old Tonie Marie Williams-Irby and her boyfriend, 41-year-old Odies D. Walker, who are accused of helping plan and carry out the attack.

In 2006, Finley was placed under the supervision of the Corrections Department after his conviction for violating a domestic-violence protection order, Lewis said.

Finley violated the terms of the supervision in July 2008 when a drug test found traces of marijuana in his body, Vail wrote.

“He spent more than 200 days in confinement beginning in September 2008 for violating his community supervision,” the secretary said.

In mid-February, Finley was released from jail and was required to check in with the community corrections officer but failed to do so. That’s when the arrest warrant was issued, Vail said.

The department is conducting an internal review of its monitoring of Finley “to make sure that we acted properly and to see if there are any lessons we can learn,” Vail wrote. Such reviews are routine when an offender under the department’s supervision commits a high-profile crime, Lewis said.

“Our staff was acutely aware of Finley’s violent actions, kept him on close supervision and held him accountable each time he violated the terms of his supervision,” the secretary said. “That, of course, does not always prevent offenders from committing horrible crimes, but it is important to remember that research shows that in many cases it does.”

Adam Lynn: 253-597-8644