A candle-making business in a two-story garage on O’Leary Street off Madrona Beach Road burned down early Wednesday morning, McLane Fire Chief Steve North said.
North said the cause of the fire is under investigation, and it is not considered suspicious. He said the fire at the business, Long-life Beeswax Candles, most likely was sparked by a malfunctioning heating unit that is used to keep wax hot during the candle-making process.
North said damage to the business is estimated at $40,000. The fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived about 3 a.m. The blaze spread to nearby trees before firefighters were able to put it out. A woman in the home adjacent to the business called 911 when she woke and noticed the fire, he added.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.