University of Washington officials say a cloud of black smoke over the Seattle campus was caused by a faulty power plant switch.
University spokesman Bob Roseth said the plant alternates between oil and natural gas. When the fuel was switched to oil Wednesday morning, there was too much oil in the area of the burner and that caused a cloud of smoke to go up the chimney.
Roseth said the plant has been switched back over to natural gas, repairs are under way and no damage or injuries were caused.
The Associated Press
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.