An Orting man who died Sunday while trying to save his elderly mother from their burning home has been identified as 46-year-old Shane York.
After York realized their home in the 17900 block of Pioneer Way East (Highway 162) was ablaze about 7 a.m., he ran outside to alert neighbors and then returned to the burning house to rescue his mom.
Neighbors found and saved the woman, but York died in the blaze.
The cause of the fire was electrical. York apparently moved an electric hospital bed for his mother into the living room Saturday.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“He was tinkering with it, trying to get it to work,” said Paul Webb, interim fire chief for Orting Valley Fire and Rescue. “They determined that was the source of the fire.”