Three of the top five stories on our website last week could be traced to one incident between two brothers and two soldiers, resulting in a tragic outcome.
Here’s the list, based on reader traffic to our website:
1. Early morning fight leads to fatal shooting east of Lacey: This was the first version of our story that would be updated throughout the day. I woke up to a radio report about the incident, which got me out of bed and off to work. In between writing about the shooting, I covered the New Year’s Day Polar Bear Plunge at Long Lake and the first New Year’s baby at Capital Medical Center.
2. New Year’s Day fight between brothers, neighbors leads to fatal shooting east of Lacey: The updated version of our story about the fight/argument between two brothers and the two soldiers across the street who tried to intervene.
3. I-5 re-opened at Plum Street in Olympia: Several lanes of Interstate 5 were closed after it appeared a man might be trying to jump off the overpass. The good news: he didn’t.
4. New Thurston County jail still empty after five years: And we’re still waiting.
5. Victim identified in fatal New Year’s Day shooting near Lacey: The victim was identified as Michael A. Bates, 37.