Local

Cigarette triggers mattress fire in Tanglewilde near Lacey

The message of the day? Don’t smoke in bed.

That’s what officials with Lacey Fire District 3 are saying after responding to a mattress fire Sunday morning in the 300 block of Trailblazer Court Southeast in the Tanglewilde neighborhood near Lacey.

“It’s a pretty simple message, but it’s a good one to follow,” Battalion Chief Tim Hulse said.

About 7:20 a.m. Sunday, fire crews were dispatched to an apartment on that street. A woman had been smoking in bed — and thought she had stubbed out her cigarette — but when it fell between the sheets and mattress, it ignited a fire, Hulse said.

It wasn’t a huge fire, he said, but it still damaged the mattress and the apartment suffered smoke damage.

There were no injuries, he said.

  Comments