Record temperatures are expected throughout the South Sound this weekend. Safety precautions are crucial for people and pets.
The National Weather Service is predicting highs of 93 on Saturday and 84 on Sunday, which is about 20 degrees above average high temperatures for late June.
Conditions are not usually this extreme until August, but are expected to last throughout the summer this year. A county-wide burn ban is already in effect, and dry lightning strikes on Sunday could cause wildfires.
Common sense can go a long way to maintain safety in the heat, and so can these safety tips from trauma experts at Providence St. Peter Hospital:
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Stay hydrated by drinking fluids before getting thirsty and avoiding caffeine, alcohol and sugary beverages.
• Limit outdoor activity to morning and evening. Take breaks in the shade.
• Wear sunscreen, loose clothing and a wide-brimmed hat.
• Visit a cooling center or air-conditioned public space.
• Wear a life jacket for all water activities.
• If you feel faint, stop activity immediately and find a cool environment.
• Seek immediate medical attention if experiencing severe heat exhaustion or symptoms of heat stroke.
• Never leave pets or children in a hot car.
The Thurston County Emergency Management Division has released a list of cooling center locations:
• First Christian Church – 701 Franklin St. SE, Olympia, Saturday 10 a.m.—5 p.m. Sunday 9 a.m.—2 p.m.
• Lacey Timberland Regional Library, 500 Sixth Ave. SE, Lacey, , Olympia Timberland Library, 313 Eighth Ave. SE, Olympia, Tenino Timberland Library, 172 W Central Ave., Tenino; Tumwater Timberland Library, 7023 New Market St. SW, Tumwater; Yelm Timberland Library, 210 Prairie Park St., Yelm. Libraries open regular hours.
• Lacey Senior Center, 6757 Pacific Ave. SE, Lacey, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-• 4 p.m.
• Olympia Senior Center Lobby, 222 Columbia St. NW, Olympia, Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
• McLane-Black Lake Fire Station 91, 125 Delphi Road NW, Olympia, open as cooling center at 95 degrees or above 1 -9 p.m.
• Tenino Quarry Swimming Pool, 300 W Park Ave., Tenino, opens July 5 at noon.
• Tenino Fire District 12, 187 S Hodgden St. SE, Tenino, daily 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Tumwater Old Town Center, 215 North Second Ave. SW, Tumwater, Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m., Friday 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
• Yelm Public Safety Building, 206 McKenzie Ave. SE, Yelm, Monday -Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.