Two cases of Legionnaires’ disease appear to be connected with a Lacey hotel, according to the Thurston County Health Department. Anyone who has stayed in the hotel in the past two weeks should monitor their health.
Two people who recently stayed at the Super 8 Motel on Martin Way have contracted Legionnaires’ disease, a serious form of pneumonia caused by the Legionella bacteria, commonly found in water. Hotel showers and air conditioning units have previously been sources of Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks.
People contract Legionnaires’ disease when they inhale mist or water vapor containing the bacteria. The bacteria are not spread from person to person.
Symptoms of Legionnaires’ disease include fever, tiredness, body aches, headaches, cough, chest pain and occasional diarrhea.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Symptoms of the illness appear between two and 10 days after exposure to the bacteria, and most commonly appear five to six days after exposure. Persons at increased risk for Legionnaires’ disease include those over 50 years old and those with certain medical conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes and lowered immune systems.
Anyone who has stayed at the Super 8 Motel and exhibits those symptoms should contact their health care provider.