2 accused of helping Walmart killer

Two people accused of helping the man who last year shot and killed an armored car guard outside a Lakewood Walmart were arrested Wednesday.

Arnoldo and Jennifer Trevino surrendered about 1:30 p.m. at police headquarters and were taken into custody on suspicion of rendering criminal assistance.

The arrests come a year and a half after the June 2, 2009, slaying of Kurt Husted, 38. Husted was shot in the head without warning while walking money bags from the store to his waiting armored car.

Recently obtained cell phone records show two calls between Arnoldo Trevino and two defendants the day before the robbery, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

Walmart floor manager Tonie Marie Williams-Irby, who purportedly provided the robbers with inside information to pull off the heist, told investigators she overheard the defendants saying they needed to call Arnoldo Trevino for advice.

The Trevinos allegedly allowed the robbers – shooter Calvin Finley and accomplice Marshawn Turpin – to stay at their East Tacoma home two hours after the shooting, then drove the men to other cities.

One of the stops they made was at the Puyallup River, where Arnoldo Trevino watched Finley dump a plastic garbage bag containing a gun, clothing worn during the robbery and tens of thousands of dollars worth of stolen bank checks, court documents state.

Arnoldo Trevino then took Finley to a motel in Fife and rented him a room, court documents say.

The Trevinos are also accused of accepting $500 from Finley on the day of the robbery.

“Initially, Al Trevino did not admit to providing assistance to the accomplices,” according to court documents. “Only after repeated interviews did he acknowledge helping them and receiving money.”

Police arrested Finley the morning after the robbery, moments after they watched him get into Jennifer Trevino’s vehicle.

A new portable safe with more than $20,000 in cash was found in the vehicle. Finley allegedly told investigators that the money was taken from Husted and divided inside the Trevinos’ home.

An additional $200,000 allegedly was found inside the home of Williams-Irby and her boyfriend, Odies Walker.

Walker, Williams-Irby and Turpin have pleaded not guilty to murder. Walker and Turpin are scheduled to go to trial in March.

Finley pleaded guilty and is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Turpin’s then-girlfriend, Brittney Maas-Baines, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six months after agreeing to testify against Turpin.

Prosecutors have said the group spent more than a month planning the crime, including timing the movements of the armored car.

According to court documents, as Husted exited the Wal-Mart with a cart full of bags of cash and checks, Finley and Turpin approached him. Finley pulled out a handgun and shot Husted in the face. Turpin grabbed the money bags from the cart before bolting from the store with Finley. Walker acted as a getaway driver.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653 stacia.glenn@thenewstribune. com