The Olympian Logo

Former Great Wolf Lodge HR manager gets prison time for obscene calls | The Olympian

×
  • E-edition
  • Home
    • Customer Service
    • About Us
    • Buy Photos and Pages
    • Contact Us
    • Plus
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Newsletters
    • Newspaper in Education
    • Subscribe
    • Subscriber Services
    • Archives

    • News
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Databases
    • Death Notices
    • Education
    • Local News
    • Military News
    • Obituaries
    • Politics & Government
    • State
    • Traffic
    • Watchdog
    • Weather
    • Opinion
    • Cartoons
    • Editorials
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Opinion Columns
    • Submit a Letter
    • Sports
    • College
    • High School
    • Mariners
    • Preps Stats
    • Seahawks
    • Sounders
    • UW Huskies
    • Politics
    • Living
    • Announcements
    • Food
    • Health & Fitness
    • Home & Garden
    • Travel
    • Entertainment
    • Arts & Culture
    • Comics
    • Puzzles & Games
    • Events Calendar
    • Horoscopes
    • Movies
    • Restaurants
    • Outdoors
    • Fishing

  • Classifieds
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Cars
  • Homes
  • Place An Ad
  • Mobile & Apps

Crime

Former Great Wolf Lodge HR manager gets prison time for obscene calls

JEREMY PAWLOSKI; Staff writer

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 11, 2010 12:00 AM

A former human resources manager for Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound was sentenced Friday to three years and five months in federal prison for making thousands of obscene and sexually threatening phone calls while using an Internet telephone "spoofing service."

Daniel Christopher Leonard, 32, of Olympia had pleaded guilty to one count of cyber stalking and four counts of making threatening communications in U.S. District Court in Tacoma.

Leonard used a website that allows people to disguise their voices, as well as their identifying phone number, Olympia police Cmdr. Tor Bjornstad has said. Leonard used the website to call 750 to 800 people in the Olympia area, Bjornstad has said, including co-workers.

He also used the website to make obscene and threatening phone calls in Monterey, Calif., where he had lived before moving to the Olympia area, court papers state.

SIGN UP

Digital Access for only $0.99

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

Leonard terrorized his victims, in some cases using his knowledge of his victims’ physical appearance “in ways that proved he was physically close to them at the time he conveyed the threats,” a sentencing memorandum by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kathryn Warma states. His determination to “ratchet up the fear” of his victims warranted a prison term at the high end of the sentencing range, Warma wrote.

Many of the victims “altered their lives because of the phone calls; quitting jobs, moving and altering their activities. Many canceled their cell phone numbers, only to start receiving the calls at home or at work,” a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle states.

Police in Monterey learned that Leonard was making threatening phone calls by tracking down and obtaining a search warrant for the records of an Internet spoofing company in Toms River, N.J., according to federal court records. Monterey police were investigating obscene phone calls that a woman there began receiving in August 2009.

“Although the phone numbers registering on her caller ID differed on some of those calls, it was the same male voice each time,” reads Leonard’s criminal complaint by FBI special agent Ryan Bruett.

The phone calls to the Monterey woman continued through 2010. In one of the calls, the caller said, “I’ll have my hands all over you soon.”

Because the voice on the calls had been electronically altered, Monterey police requested a search warrant for the records of a spoofing company, www.spoofcard.com, operated by TelTech Systems, according to the criminal complaint. The records showed that someone had called the Monterey woman using the service. Monterey police subsequently identified Leonard as the person making the calls.

TelTech’s records showed 4,000 calls to 1,200 numbers on Leonard’s account, according to the news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Leonard had made nearly 200 calls to one woman living in his Olympia apartment complex. He also made calls to a victim he had worked with at the Hotel Victor, in Miami, the news release states.

After Olympia police arrested Leonard in April, he confessed to making “sexually driven” phone calls to multiple women.

“He specifically targeted some women he knew, but then also randomly called women working at businesses such as tanning salons or coffee stands,” reads Leonard’s criminal complaint.

During Friday’s sentencing hearing, U.S. District Judge Ronald B. Leighton said the calls were “terribly disturbing, painful and haunting for the victims,” according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Washington.

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5465 jpawloski@theolympian.com

  Comments  

Videos

Suspicious death draws sheriff’s investigation

Driver crashes car into Budd Inlet

View More Video

Trending Stories

Pints & Quarts at Capital Mall has closed

January 07, 2019 11:15 AM

Olympia neighborhood unsettled by message distributed by white nationalist group

January 07, 2019 12:36 PM

As if it wasn’t clear already, no signs Earl Thomas is is in any Seahawks plans for 2019

January 07, 2019 01:57 PM

Pierce County Medical Examiner IDs 2 people found dead in Tacoma on Saturday

January 06, 2019 03:19 PM

Trial for former Rachel Dolezal set for March 4

January 07, 2019 08:21 AM
Local display advertising by PaperG

Read Next

Crime

Pierce County Medical Examiner IDs 2 people found dead in Tacoma on Saturday

By Rolf Boone

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 06, 2019 03:19 PM

A man and woman who were found dead in Tacoma Saturday afternoon have been identified, according to the Pierce County Medical Examiner.

KEEP READING

Digital Access for only $0.99

#ReadLocal

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE CRIME

Suspect in 25-year-old unsolved Boise homicide arrested in Washington state killing

Washington state

Suspect in 25-year-old unsolved Boise homicide arrested in Washington state killing

January 03, 2019 01:23 PM
Bail set at $1 million in case of man shot dead off Old Highway 99

Local

Bail set at $1 million in case of man shot dead off Old Highway 99

December 31, 2018 04:58 PM

Local

Argument escalates to stabbing in west Olympia, police say

December 30, 2018 11:16 AM

Crime

He spent $10 at a Centralia restaurant, but received $130 in return. Now, police are looking for a suspect

December 30, 2018 04:23 PM
2-car crash in Parkland closes street, sends one vehicle into apartment building

Crime

2-car crash in Parkland closes street, sends one vehicle into apartment building

December 30, 2018 11:49 AM
Her smiling mugshot made headlines. Now she’s making her home in Richland.

Washington state

Her smiling mugshot made headlines. Now she’s making her home in Richland.

December 30, 2018 04:57 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

The Olympian App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Rewards
  • Pay Your Bill
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
  • Photo Store
  • Archives
Advertising
  • Information
  • Place a Classified
  • Local Deals
  • Place an Obituary
  • Today's Circulars
  • Special Sections
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story