Man charged with assaulting, eluding deputies pleads not guilty

A 50-year-old Olympia man pleaded not guilty to assault charges after allegedly hitting a Thurston County Sheriff’s deputy with his truck and crashing into another deputy’s car Sept. 3.

Peter C. Peterson is charged with second-degree assault, third-degree assault, eluding a police vehicle and first-degree malicious mischief. He was arraigned during a Thurston County Superior Court appearance Sept. 16.

Deputy Howard Reynolds stopped Peterson, who was driving a flatbed truck, after Peterson allegedly failed to stop at a stop sign and swerved over the yellow line while driving on the Nisqually Cutoff Road at about 1 a.m., according to court documents. Reynolds ran the truck’s license plate and learned that Peterson was wanted on a felony warrant.

Reynolds approached the truck and told Peterson that he had a warrant for his arrest, and Peterson allegedly sped away. A protruding part of the truck knocked Reynolds down, and he received cuts and bruises, according to court documents.

Peterson turned onto Steilacoom Boulevard, allegedly driving at 75 mph while straddling the center line. An officer from the Lacey Police Department joined the chase, following Peterson as he sped onto Pacific Avenue and College Street. Peterson allegedly swerved to avoid spike strips, which has been laid out on Pacific Avenue and Fones Road.

Deputy Ruben Mancillas joined the chase, and Peterson entered southbound Interstate 5, driving 80 mph, according to court documents. Peterson allegedly slammed on his brakes and swerved into Mancillas’ car, and then swerved and tried to hit Reynolds’ car. Reynolds braked and avoided the collision. Mancillas wasn’t injured.

Peterson allegedly exited onto Highway 101, accelerating to 80 mph and straddling the center line. He exited onto Evergreen Parkway, where he hit spike strips. He continued speeding down Evergreen Parkway until his tires shredded and he turned into a driveway on the 2900 block of Kaiser Rd. Peterson exited the truck and entered a home, according to court documents.

Two women exited the trailer, and deputies ordered Peterson to exit, too. He came out and was arrested by Reynolds at about 1:20 a.m.

Peterson’s trial is set for the week of Nov. 10.