Crime

Man accused of molesting 2 girls during sleepover in Olympia

A man faces child molestation charges after two victims told their Olympia middle school principal about alleged abuse.

The 30-year-old man faces one count of first-degree child molestation and one count of second-degree child molestation. He appeared Monday (Nov. 24) in Thurston County Superior Court, where Judge Gary Tabor set bail at $20,000. Charges are due to be filed by Wednesday, with an arraignment tentatively scheduled for Dec. 9.

The Olympian does not name suspects when doing so might identify the victims.

Judge Tabor also granted two protection orders for the alleged victims, both students at an Olympia middle school. The school’s principal contacted Olympia police Nov. 18 when a female student disclosed that the suspect, her stepfather, had been coming into her bedroom about three times a week for the past three years, where he allegedly rubbed her back and touched her private areas before going to work in the morning, according to a probable cause statement.

The school principal met with another student who had spent the previous night at the first student’s home. The second student reported she was touched in a similar fashion by the suspect early that morning, according to documents.

A detective with the Olympia Police Department conducted separate forensic interviews with the children. Both children reported that the suspect touched their private areas that morning, according to documents.

The suspect has no prior felony convictions, according to the court. In an interview with police Saturday following his arrest, he admitted that he rubbed the first girl’s back in the morning before leaving for work, and said he may have accidentally touched the other girl’s back in the process. However, he denied touching either child inappropriately, according to documents.

  Comments