Graham man pleads guilty to assaulting Olympia woman

A Graham man faces prison after pleading guilty Monday to a sex offense and related assault against an Olympia woman.

Sean Michael Belka II, of Graham, was led away from the courtroom in handcuffs after pleading guilty to one count of indecent liberties and a lesser charge of one count of second-degree assault. Belka, who will be required to register as a sex offender, had initially faced a charge of second-degree rape.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Jan. 1, 2014, following celebrations for New Year’s Eve. According to court documents, Belka was invited to the victim’s residence in Olympia, and upon arrival, had received permission to stay the night because he was planning to drink.

Belka left the residence to attend another party nearby, then returned a few hours later. The victim retired to her bedroom to watch a movie around 3 a.m., and Belka soon entered the room and laid down next to her on the bed, according to documents.

The victim woke up to Belka touching and fondling her, and after she told him to stop, he apologized and they both fell asleep, according to documents. The victim later woke up at 5:30 a.m. with Belka removing her pants and fondling her, and according to documents, he then pinned her down with his chin and right hand while she repeatedly yelled and begged him to stop.

According to documents, Belka bit the victim’s shoulder while attempting to rape her. The victim jumped up and secured a pocket knife while yelling at Belka to leave her room. According to documents, Belka stayed in the bed for another 20 minutes before zipping up his pants and leaving. Upon his arrest, he told police he must have blacked out, and said he didn’t remember anything until the victim screamed at him to get out of the room, according to documents.

Detectives viewed text messages sent to the victim, in which Belka indicated he was “sorry” and “shocked” at what happened, and later wrote “I should have slept on the floor” and “those acts were conducted unconsciously,” according to documents.

At the time of the incident, Belka had been scheduled to deploy to Thailand as part of the 176th Engineer Company with the Washington National Guard. The deployment was canceled as a result of the charges, according to documents.

Judge Chris Wickham accepted Belka’s plea Monday in Thurston County Superior Court. The sentence ranges from 21-27 months for the indecent liberties charge and 6-12 months for the assault charge, Wickham said. Belka is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 5.