Crime

North Thurston school shooting suspect will stay in juvenile detention

The 16-year-old suspect who fired shots last week at North Thurston High School underwent a mental health evaluation and will remain in juvenile detention until his arraignment.

The suspect appeared in court Monday, one week after his arrest for firing a gun inside the school. A teacher tackled and subdued the teen at the scene. No one was injured.

The evaluation was conducted last week and indicated the suspect did not qualify to be detained in a mental health facility. Commissioner Indu Thomas confirmed that there has been no change in circumstances, and that the suspect’s arraignment is scheduled for 9 a.m. May 11.

The suspect, who is not being named because he is a minor, has been charged with five crimes: theft of a firearm, harassment, unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree, possession of a firearm on school grounds, and discharging a firearm or dangerous weapon. His bail was set at $500,000.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Wayne Graham said the investigation into the case is still unfolding.

Graham had previously said the teen was already on probation for another crime, but did not provide details about his criminal history because of his status as a minor.

According to Washington State Patrol records, the teen had been arrested Oct. 14, 2014, by the King County Sheriff’s Office and was convicted of fourth-degree assault about a month later. He was sentenced to 30 days in a juvenile detention facility and two years of probation.

Related stories from The Olympian

  Comments