Trial postponed for suspect in Olympia YMCA molestation case

David L. Cawthorn, the man accused of molesting a boy in an Olympia YMCA shower, won’t stand trial until August at the earliest.

Cawthorn, 22, was arrested in May of 2014 and is charged with first-degree child molestation and communicating with a minor for immoral purposes. He is being held in the Thurston County Jail in lieu of $75,000 bail.

His trial had been scheduled for the week of June 1, but Thurston County Deputy Prosecutor Megan Winder said the trial was postponed to the week of Aug. 27 at the request of attorney Richard Woodrow, who represents Cawthorn.

Winder was unable to comment on the specifics of the case.

Olympia police began investigating Cawthorn on May 24, 2014 after a staff member at the YMCA, located at 1530 Yelm Highway, reported a sex offense involving an adult male and a 10-year-old boy. While an officer was traveling to the YMCA, a second boy reported another incident, according to court documents.

The first boy told police that a man had followed him into the locker room and asked the boy to show him his genitals. The boy said the man removed a towel from his waist and began touching himself. The boy ran to the front desk and told an employee what happened.

The boy was able to point out the man to staff members, and the man gave the name “David Cawthorn” when confronted by YMCA staff, according to court documents. But Cawthorn told staff that he hadn’t done what the boy reported.

YMCA staff members called 911 and reported the incident.

Shortly after making the call, a mother and her 8-year-old son walked in and reported another incident, according to court documents.

The second boy told police that he had been showering in the locker room when a man entered his shower stall. The boy reported that the man was naked and touching his own genitals. The man asked the boy if he could touch his genitals, and the boy said no. The boy said the man grabbed his genitals anyway, and he slapped the man’s hand away, according to court documents.

The man left the locker room.

Police interviewed Cawthorne, who admitted to talking to the two boys, but denied having any kind of sexual contact with them.