District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis on Friday dismissed reality TV star Tila Tequila’s accusations that San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman choked her and threw her to the ground early Sunday while she was trying to leave his suburban home.
Merriman was arrested after Tequila signed a citizen’s arrest warrant accusing Merriman of battery and false imprisonment. Both are felonies.
Dumanis decided not to charge Merriman after her office spent three days reviewing reports from the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.
“After a thorough review of the investigation into the Sept. 6, 2009, incident at the Poway home of Shawne Merriman, our office has determined there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any crime was committed,” Dumanis said in a statement. “This case is now closed. No further comment will be made.”
Dumanis’ statement was released moments after the Chargers concluded practice. Informed by reporters that he wouldn’t be charged, Merriman said he couldn’t comment until after he’d spoken with his lawyers.
Seymour still a no-show
The Oakland Raiders reportedly sent defensive lineman Richard Seymour a letter giving him until Tuesday to report to the team or face a possible season-long suspension.
The Boston Herald reported that Seymour was hand-delivered the so-called “five-day letter” on Thursday, four days after Oakland acquired the five-time Pro Bowler from the New England Patriots for a 2011 first-round draft pick.
So instead of adding a dominant defensive lineman for their season opener against the San Diego Chargers on Monday night, the Raiders are left waiting to see what happens.
“We come in hoping to see him here and then we’re promptly disappointed,” Raiders All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said.
Seymour hasn’t publicly talked since Sunday’s trade from one of the NFL’s model franchises to the one that has lost the most games in the league over the past six years. His agent, Eugene Parker, has not returned phone calls seeking comment.
If Seymour does not report to the Raiders by Tuesday, the team could place him on a suspended list without pay at any time. That would prohibit him from playing for any team this season and roll over his contract for another year. Seymour would then not be eligible for free agency next season. The Raiders would retain his rights in 2010 for $3.7 million.
Fire up the backyard grill and flip on the TV, Bengals and Cardinals fans. You can see your team’s game at your own home this Sunday.
Raiders faithful, however, may have to get to the Oakland Coliseum to watch the silver and black on Monday night.
Cincinnati and Arizona announced that their season openers sold out in time to avoid a local blackout, while the Raiders received a 24-hour extension from the NFL.
Teams normally need to sell out games 72 hours before kickoff to prevent a blackout. The Bengals and Cardinals received an extension Thursday because of the Labor Day holiday.
Vikings DTs can play
A federal appeals court cleared the way for Minnesota Vikings Pat Williams and Kevin Williams to play all season, despite the NFL’s attempts to suspend them for violating the league’s anti-doping policy.
The NFL had already said the two defensive tackles could play in Sunday’s season-opener at Cleveland because their court fight over the suspensions would not be decided in time.
Vick travels with Eagles
Michael Vick is traveling with the Philadelphia Eagles for their season opener at Carolina to get a taste of what’s the team’s road routine is all about.
Eagles coach Andy Reid usually does not take players, typically injured ones, on the road if they are not going to play. Reid wanted Vick, who remains on the exempt list, to become familiar with how the Eagles handle their business on trips.
Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell acknowledged that senior offensive coordinator Tom Moore will be back on the sidelines this weekend against the Jacksonville Jaguars. ... New Orleans Saints left tackle Jammal Brown has undergone hip surgery, a procedure that officials say could keep him off the field for several weeks. ... Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall declined to comment about his return from a team-imposed suspension, capping his week of public silence on the matter.