Saints still unbeaten, but barely

LANDOVER, Md. – The New Orleans Saints had no business winning. Two of their biggest plays were unbelievable flukes, bad mistakes that morphed into positive results. Then they needed the other team’s kicker to miss a 23-yard field goal just to stay alive, and a freeze-frame replay reversal to get the ball in overtime.

But the Saints are living a charmed life these days, and the Washington Redskins are as snakebit as can be. New Orleans trailed by 10 in the fourth quarter Sunday and played more than four quarters without holding a lead — until Garrett Hartley kicked an 18-yard field goal 6:29 into the extra period for a 33-30 win.

“I don’t know about the voodoo, but I definitely believe in destiny,” said Drew Brees, who led a no-timeout, 80-yard drive in just 33 seconds to tie the game late in regulation. “I believe in karma, and what goes around comes around. We’ve been on the other side of this deal probably too many times, and maybe it’s our time, that we start catching some of the breaks.”

Catching the breaks? That sure explains how the Saints are now 12-0 with the NFC South title in hand. How else to explain a badly shanked punt that turns into a 29-yard gain, or an interception by Brees that somehow becomes a touchdown for teammate Robert Meachem?

“Crazy plays,” linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. “When you’re hot, you’re hot. And sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.”

But New Orleans’ defense offered minimal resistance allowing 455 yards.

How did it happen? Leading 30-23, the Redskins marched downfield and set up the field goal that would have put the game out of reach. But Shaun Suisham pushed the attempt wide right from a mere 23 yards with 1:52 to play.

Brees went right to work, moving quickly before hitting Meachem wide open over the middle for a 53-yard touchdown with 1:19 to go, essentially sending the game to overtime.

The Redskins had the ball to start the extra period, but North Thurston grad Mike Sellers fumbled when he was upended by Chris McAlister after making a catch — a turnover verified after a meticulous replay reversal — giving the Saints the ball at the Washington 37. Brees needed only seven plays to march New Orleans to the 1 before Hartley made the game-winning kick.

Meachem’s first-half touchdown was just as big, but much more unorthodox.

The sequence started when the Saints punted from their own 30. Thomas Morstead shanked the kick so badly it hit Washington’s Kevin Barnes flush on the back near the sideline. New Orleans recovered at the Redskins 41.

Four plays later, facing third-and-26 at the Redskins 44, Brees backpedaled and threw a desperation pass deep over the middle toward Jeremy Shockey. Kareem Moore dived over Shockey’s back to make an interception, rolled over, got up and ran 14 yards before Meachem simply took the ball away from an upright Moore and ran down the sideline 44 yards for the touchdown.