Steelers lose Dixon, turn to Batch at QB

Pittsburgh quarterback Dennis Dixon hurt his knee early in the second quarter and did not return in the Steelers' 19-11 victory over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

Dixon’s last play was a 7-yard run to set up Jeff Reed’s 36-yard field goal to start the second quarter. Charlie Batch finished the game, while Dixon, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee while in college, is scheduled for tests today.

Dixon was starting for the suspended Ben Roethlisberger, who still has two more games to sit out before returning. The Steelers cut Byron Leftwich on Saturday to clear space for an extra defensive lineman.

Dixon jogged lightly on the sideline, then talked with trainers before walking to a cart. He got on the back and put a towel over his head and rode to the locker room, gently flexing his left knee.

There were plenty of other injuries:

 • Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis injured his left hamstring while being beaten for a touchdown by New England’s Randy Moss just before halftime. Revis missed the second half.

Revis, limited during the week with tightness in the hamstring, grabbed at his leg after Moss made a one-handed 34-yard touchdown catch with the defender trailing with 53 seconds remaining in the half. Revis was worked on by trainers on the sideline after the play, and then walked to the locker room. Revis missed all of training camp while holding out for 36 days in a contract dispute.

 • Atlanta Falcons running backs Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood both left against the Arizona Cardinals with injuries.

Turner had nine carries for 75 yards before suffering a groin injury. Norwood, Turner’s top backup, returned the opening kickoff 34 yards and later was carted off the field with a knee injury.

 • Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins will have an MRI test on his right knee today. Jenkins was hurt in Dallas’ 27-20 loss to Chicago when he got tangled up with receiver Johnny Knox trying to block him.

“He tried to block me and I tried to throw him off,” Jenkins said. “We just collided knees.”

After being tended to and helped to his feet by medical personnel, Jenkins was taken to the locker room on a motorized cart. He said afterward he had just a “little swelling” and was walking around without any significant problem.

About four minutes before Jenkins got hurt, tight end Jason Witten came off the field after being crushed between two defenders and getting his head slammed to the turf at the end of a 23-yard catch.

 • Bears left tackle Chris Williams and rookie backup free safety Major Wright both left with hamstring injuries. Williams and Wright were both hurt in the first quarter.

 • Chargers rookie running back Ryan Mathews hurt his right ankle at the end of a 3-yard run in the first quarter against Jacksonville.

Mathews had to be helped off the field.