Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano apologized for his dugout tirade last month.
Zambrano went off after allowing four runs in the first inning against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field on June 25 and had to be separated from teammate Derrek Lee. He was suspended for three games and placed on the restricted list on June 29 with a mandate that he seek anger management counseling.
Zambrano said Monday on ESPN he apologizes “from the bottom of my heart” and that the confrontation “was my fault.”
“It’s hard to think right when you’re mad,” he said. “Thank God the Cubs sent me to this doctor. I’ve been seeing this doctor for anger management, and hopefully, good things will come out of the treatment.”
Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he believes Zambrano is “contrite” and “looking forward to coming back,” but reiterated he needs to address his teammates when he returns this weekend at Colorado.
NEW ROUTES TO COOPERSTOWN
The baseball Hall of Fame has changed the way that managers, umpires, executives and long-retired players will be considered for election.
Candidates will be reviewed in three eras: Pre-Integration (1871-1946), Golden (1947-1972) and Expansion (starting in 1973).
One composite ballot will be considered in each era. The Expansion Era ballot will include 12 candidates, while the Golden and Pre-Integration era ballots each will have 10.
The changes were announced Monday. The first election in the Expansion category will be held in December during the winter meetings. The Golden election will take place in 2011, and the Pre-Integration vote will be held in 2012.
Baltimore infielder Ty Wigginton has had his suspension cut to two games, while Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw will sit out five games.
Both players originally appealed their penalties from last week. Major League Baseball announced the outcomes Monday.
Wigginton’s suspension – for making contact with umpire Gary Darling during Thursday’s 5-0 home loss to Minnesota – was reduced from three games after he agreed to drop his appeal.
Kershaw was penalized five games for throwing at San Francisco’s Aaron Rowand.
Boston activated catcher Victor Martinez from the disabled list after he missed 22 games because of a thumb injury. Martinez, sidelined since June 27, entered Monday’s game against the Angels batting .289 with nine homers and 38 RBI in 66 games. … The New York Mets put catcher Rod Barajas, who has a mild strain in his right side, on the 15-day disabled list and promoted infielder Mike Hessman from Triple-A.