Football

Suspect in Taylor slaying no longer to withdraw plea

The only suspect to plead guilty so far in the slaying of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor told a judge he is abandoning an effort to withdraw his plea.

Venjah Hunte, 21, made the decision after a private meeting with his attorney and his mother, who burst into loud sobs when he was led into the courtroom by jail personnel.

Extra points

The Kansas City Chiefs have signed defensive end Tyson Jackson, the team’s first-round draft pick. … Detroit Lions backup offensive tackle Damion Cook will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a triceps injury. … Former New York Giants star Plaxico Burress will be arraigned later this month on a weapons charge for shooting himself in the thigh at a New York City nightclub. He will appear in court Aug. 20. … Carolina signed linebacker Kelvin Smith and released long-snapper Nick Sundberg. … A judge decided to place a movie studio involved in an investment dispute with some members of the New Orleans Saints under a special overseer after the studio’s head ignored her order to appear at a hearing. … The lawyer for a woman suing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for alleged sexual assault has given the two-time Super Bowl winner more time to respond to the lawsuit. Reno attorney Cal Dunlap says Roethlisberger’s attorneys now have until Aug. 21 to file their response. … Knowshon Moreno, the Denver Broncos’ top draft pick, agreed to a five-year, $23 million contract that includes $13 million in guarantees. It ends an eight-day holdout. ... A Las Vegas Strip casino has sued Denver Broncos running back LaMont Jordan over $20,000 in gambling debts plus interest. ... Darnell Stapleton had surgery on his left knee and coach Mike Tomlin said the Pittsburgh Steelers right guard will be out at least two weeks.

  Comments