Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch’s court date Friday regarding a motion to suppress evidence in Alameda County (Calif.) Court was continued to Nov. 1, said Teresa Drenick, assistant district attorney for the Alameda County District Attorney’s office.
Lynch’s court date stems from charges filed against him for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol in Oakland on July 14 of last year. Lynch has pleaded not guilty.
His next court date regarding the matter is a pretrial hearing scheduled for Thursday, but the parties may negotiate and resolve the matter outside of court at any time.
If the parties cannot come to an agreement, then the next likely step would be that the matter would be set for trial. No trial date has been set, but a readiness hearing is scheduled for Dec. 27.
Ivan W. Golde, an attorney
representing Lynch, said Lynch is not expected to miss any of the upcoming season because of his pending court case.
The NFL usually will not discipline a player for a legal matter until it has been resolved in court.
“This case will not prevent (Lynch) from being available for any game (in 2013),” Golde said.
Lynch, 26, was arrested by the California Highway Patrol in the early morning on July 14 after being observed weaving in and out of northbound lanes on Interstate 880 in Oakland, nearly colliding with two cars.
Lynch failed a field sobriety test and was taken into custody. He later submitted to a breathalyzer test, which showed his blood-alcohol content was over the state’s legal limit of 0.08. Charges were filed on July 18.
WITNESS MUST TESTIFY
A Superior Court judge in Hartford, Conn., ordered an East Hartford man who has filed a lawsuit against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez to appear before a Fall River, Mass., grand jury investigating Hernandez’s alleged role in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd. Hernandez has been charged with murder in the case.
Alexander Bradley, who charges in a civil lawsuit in Florida that Hernandez shot him in the right eye outside a Florida nightclub in February, must appear before the grand jury on July 17. His lawyer had argued that it would be a hardship for him to appear because of follow-up medical treatment he needs in Florida.
But Judge Joan K. Alexander said Bradley is a material witness and ordered him to appear.
RAMS ON WAY OUT?
The organization that runs the Edward Jones Dome has made it official: The facility will not get a publicly funded $700 million upgrade that the St. Louis Rams requested, possibly leaving the city without an NFL team for the second time in almost 30 years.
St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission President Kathleen Ratcliffe informed the Rams in a letter dated Tuesday.
It wasn’t a surprise. After arbitrators ruled in favor of the Rams’ plan over a much more modest CVC proposal, the CVC said in February it was unlikely to implement the plan.
The Rams can now break their lease with the dome after the 2014 season. The former St. Louis Cardinals left for Arizona in 1987.
BLACKMON HAS SURGERY
Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon is recovering from recent groin surgery but could be back in time for training camp, which begins July 26.
He has been suspended for the first four games of 2013 for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse program. He is eligible, though, to play in the team’s four preseason games, the first one against Miami on Aug. 9.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.Eric D. Williams: 253-597-8437 firstname.lastname@example.org