The threat of an explosion at a downtown Olympia distillery Wednesday morning caused several nearby workers to seek cover.
Fire crews responded about 10:30 a.m. to investigate malfunctioning equipment at Blind Pig Spirits, 222 Capitol Way N.
The street was closed while firefighters entered the business where the windows were covered in condensation. Onlookers feared the distilling equipment — which is used to make moonshine, whiskey and vodka — was under pressure and could explode at any moment.
As it turns out, one of the small stills had overflowed with hot liquid and steam. Firefighters tested the atmosphere and detected no explosive gases in the air, said J.D. Young, battalion chief with the Olympia Fire Department.
Never miss a local story.
Building owner Gray Graham watched from behind the caution line, preferring to be “better safe than sorry” while fire crews secured the scene.
Pete Lea, whose automotive shop is across from the distillery, evacuated his employees just in case the distillery exploded.
“I don’t want to be around when it blows,” said Lea as he took temporary refuge behind his building.