Rochester man arrested on suspicion of child rape
A 41-year-old Rochester man was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly raped a 12-year-old girl on several occasions.
Jason E. Thompson appeared in Thurston County Superior Court on Wednesday, and Judge Gary Tabor set bail at $50,000. Tabor found probable cause for four counts of second-degree child rape.
The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office began investigating Thompson after a woman reported that a 12-year-old girl had confided in her that Thompson forced the girl to perform oral sex on him on several occasions, according to court documents.
Detectives conducted an interview with the girl, who told them that she had performed oral sex on the man at least four times in the past few months. He told her that the act would make her teeth whiter and clear her acne, and that it would make him “feel better,” according to court documents.
Deputy Prosecutor Heather Stone said at the Wednesday court hearing that Thompson had previously been convicted of first-degree child rape. This would be Thompson’s second-strike offense, and a conviction could yield a sentence of between 9 years, 3 months and 12 years, 3 months in prison.
Defense attorney John Hansen, of the Office of Assigned Counsel, said the prior offense occurred in 1998, and that Thompson has no other known criminal history.
In addition to setting $50,000 bail, Tabor ordered that Thompson have no contact with the victim or any other minors.
Amelia Dickson: 360-754-5445, @Amelia_Oly
This story was originally published December 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM with the headline "Rochester man arrested on suspicion of child rape."