Entertainment

Nancy Guthrie Update: Sheriff Offers New Comment on Ending Communication With Guthrie Family

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos recently communication with Nancy Guthrie‘s family-including Todayco-anchor Savannah Guthrie-has ended, now that the 84-year-old has been missing for over 100 days.

On Monday, May 18, People published an interview with Nanos, during which he shed more light on the situation after Nancy was abducted from her Tucson, Ariz., home on Feb. 1.

🎬 SIGN UP for Parade's Daily newsletter to get the latest pop culture news & celebrity interviews delivered right to your inbox 🎬

"I personally am not," Nanos said, of having ongoing communication with Savannah and her siblings, Annie Guthrie, and Camron Guthrie. However, the FBI is still in contact with the Guthries. "If they need the family for anything, they get in touch with them and the family, he noted. "It works both ways."

When Nancy's investigation began in February, however, Nanos said he was in regular contact with Savannah, 54. He also hinted at a possible reason why communication has since ceased.

"We text or, every now and then, a phone call," he explained. "But no, I've not even sat down with her face-to-face. She's got a lot on her plate. The FBI and my detectives and those, they've been talking with her face-to-face. She doesn't need to talk to me."

View this post on Instagram

Related: Nancy Guthrie Update: Brian Entin Addresses "Twist" in Case

During a May 14 interview with People, Nanos first revealed that the FBI is now handling conversations with Nancy's loved ones as investigators continue to go through evidence and leads. He also acknowledged the mood toward the case, as no suspect has been publicly named.

"The public is frustrated. Even the Guthrie family," He admitted. "Every passing second must feel like 100 days because they don't know. What matters is moving forward carefully so we don't make mistakes or falsely accuse somebody or make a bad arrest."

Nancy was kidnapped from her Catalina Foothills home on the evening of Jan. 31. Since then, the FBI has released video footage of a masked individual on the 84-year-old's front porch. Savannah has also offered a $1 million reward, in addition to other reward money on the table.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call 1-800-CALLFBI.

Next: Nancy Guthrie Update: Sheriff Chris Nanos Makes Bold Vow as Case Hits 100 Days

Copyright 2026 The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 2:01 PM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER