Local

Power strip blamed for fire at downtown apartments, Olympia Fire says

Best practices for preventing fires at home

Accidental house fires are a serious safety threat. Learn how to cut down your risk by exercising these simple prevention tips.
Up Next
Accidental house fires are a serious safety threat. Learn how to cut down your risk by exercising these simple prevention tips.

Three people were displaced following a fire at their downtown Olympia apartment building Thursday night, according to the Olympia Fire Department.

Crews responded to the building at 515 Adams St. SE about 8 p.m. The second-floor fire was out within five minutes of their arrival.

No injuries were reported. The cause was determined to be a faulty power strip, according to a OFD tweet.

KIRO reports a second apartment was damaged by water.

OFD says the building had working smoke detectors but no sprinklers. The cost of the damage was estimated to be $40,000.

  Comments