Local

Smoke at Oly High came from malfunctioning HVAC, fire officials say

Reports of smoke in Olympia High School’s gymnasium Friday morning prompted a response from Olympia’s police and fire departments.

The smoke was cleared within an hour after it was reported and students who had been evacuated from affected areas returned to class, Assistant Chief of Operations Mike Buchanan told The Olympian.

No injuries were reported.

Reports of smoke came in at about 9:40 a.m., according to county dispatch. Olympia Fire Department arrived shortly after to find smoke had filled a utility room above the gym, according to Buchanan. By 10:30 a.m., the smoke was cleared.

The department believes a malfunctioning motor or belt within an air-handling unit, or HVAC, caused the smoke. Buchanan could not confirm whether flames were seen at any point.

  Comments