Applications pour in for city of Lacey COVID-19 small business grant funds
More than 100 small business owners affected by the COVID-19 pandemic have applied for a share of the $1 million in grant funds offered by the Lacey City Council last month.
The council approved providing the grants on March 26. The Thurston Economic Development Council began accepting and screening applicants on the city’s behalf the following week, and now 165 (and counting) small business owners have applied for the funds, said Rick Walk, Lacey’s community and economic development director.
“It’s a great demonstration of the need out there,” Walk said..
So far, 28 businesses have received grants, burning through about $250,000 of the fund, Walk said. The average grant size has been $8,500, he said. Not every business has needed the maximum amount of $10,000, which will extend the life of the overall fund, Walk said.
Other businesses have applications that are pending, or are in the initial stages of the process, plus about 25 applicants have been denied because they didn’t meet basic criteria. To be eligible, a business must have 25 or fewer full-time equivalent employees, but priority will be given to those businesses with 10 or fewer. The business also must be in Lacey.
The city has received some testimonials from appreciative business owners, including one from Chris and Gina Reimertz, owners of Dancing Goats Coffee Bar on Sixth Avenue.
“We are beyond grateful,” the owners said, according to Walk.
Given the popularity of the fund, Lacey City Councilman Michael Steadman asked whether the city should commit more money to help.
But councilwoman Carolyn Cox reminded council members that because so many businesses are closed, sales tax revenue to the city will be down, possibly resulting in “hard choices in the future.”
“I urge a little balance and caution,” she said.
City Manager Scott Spence said the council will meet April 23 to discuss a budget strategy for the city.
This story was originally published April 13, 2020 at 5:45 AM.