Residents come to Olympia port commissioner’s defense after sexual harassment allegations
Some residents say Port of Olympia Commissioner E.J. Zita is owed an apology after she was accused of sexual harassment during a public meeting earlier this month.
Those comments of support were shared during Monday’s commission meeting.
Zita responded to those comments as well, saying “I am dismayed at the false accusations against me.”
The port commission on Aug. 10 voted in favor of expanding the port’s anti-harassment/discrimination policy to include the three-member commission after an employee accused Commissioner Zita of sexual harassment.
The port policy previously only covered employees, not the elected officials, said Beth McIntyre, the port’s attorney for personnel matters.
“I was disturbed to see the report in The Olympian about the Aug. 10 meeting,” resident Denis Langhans said Monday, adding that Zita was “blindsided” by what he called a “failure of procedure.”
“She really is owed an apology for that failure of procedure,” he said.
Helen Wheatley, who ran unsuccessfully for port commissioner last year, echoed Langhan’s comments, saying the Aug. 10 meeting was “a little over the top and an apology is probably warranted.”
Resident Deborah Pattin, who said she’s a survivor of sexual assault and sexual harassment, doesn’t want to see anyone falsely accused, but she also said the allegation and the port investigation is a “serious matter.” She wanted more information about the investigation, she said.
Earlier this year, an employee made a sexual harassment claim against Zita, which led the port to hire a female investigator from Seattle to look into the claim. Zita participated in an initial interview with the investigator, but declined to participate in the investigation, according to information shared during the Aug. 10 meeting.
The investigator concluded that “there have been instances in which Zita engaged in conduct that caused several port employees to feel uncomfortable.”
Zita responded to Pattin’s comments, saying that it’s a “sad truth that most women are survivors of sexual assault and sexual harassment.”
She added that “employees at the Port of Olympia should be protected and I strongly support our new policy.”
Commissioner Joe Downing pointed out the investigation is a matter of public record. He said the investigation cost the port $17,000.
This story was originally published August 25, 2020 at 5:45 AM.