Lacey commits to Genesis House project to provide housing, support to young women
A longtime plan to fund a house and services to stabilize the lives of four adult teens is finally happening, according to a briefing Lacey City Council received earlier this month.
City Manager Scott Spence will enter into a memorandum of understanding with two partners: Homes First and the Community Action Council.
The city is prepared to commit $260,000 — $150,000 toward the purchase or renovation of a single-family residence and $110,000 for a half-time case worker to support the residents.
The residents will be four unaccompanied women ages 18 to 25 who will live in the house while they work toward getting their high school diploma or GED.
Homes First, a Lacey-based nonprofit that provides affordable housing, also would commit $200,000 toward the purchase or renovation of the residence.
Lacey Mayor Andy Ryder acknowledged that the city has been talking about Genesis House for some time.
“This has taken some twists and turns over the years,” he said.
It began in 2018 when St. Mark Lutheran Church in Lacey received a state Department of Commerce grant of $200,000 to build tiny homes for high school students who were experiencing homelessness, according to the city.
The church, though, decided to not move forward with the project.
Later, Homes First worked with the state to transfer the grant from building tiny homes to purchasing or renovating a single-family residence.
Councilman Lenny Greenstein asked how many people would be helped by Genesis House.
The idea is that once those four have obtained their diplomas they would move on and others would be able to use the house, said Assistant City Manager Shannon Kelley-Fong, who made the Genesis House presentation to council.
“I”m very excited this is moving forward tangibly,” Councilwoman Robin Vazquez said.
This story was originally published February 20, 2022 at 5:45 AM.