Local

Port of Olympia commission issues statement of support for director Gibboney

The Port of Olympia commission issued a statement in support of embattled executive director Sam Gibboney during its Monday work session.
The Port of Olympia commission issued a statement in support of embattled executive director Sam Gibboney during its Monday work session. Rolf Boone

The Port of Olympia Commission on Monday issued a statement of support for their embattled executive director Sam Gibboney, days after one of their own presented a completely different view of her.

A week ago, Commissioner Amy Evans Harding attempted to put Gibboney on administrative leave, raising concerns about her judgment after Evans Harding said that Gibboney wanted to make edits and change scores on the commission’s performance review of her. Evans Harding’s motion to place her on leave failed from lack of support from commissioners Joe Downing and Bob Iyall.

Evans Harding also issued a longer statement about her concerns.

But on Monday, the commission presented a unified front. All three voted to add the statement of support to the work session agenda, then Downing read it aloud during the meeting.

“We support our Executive Director Sam Gibboney,” he said. “Sam is a thoughtful and smart administrator. She has led the port through the difficult COVID-19 period and overseen the changing of personnel who did not support the direction the port was taking.

“We believe that Sam Gibboney is the right person to continue to lead the organization. Under her leadership, we have had many new initiatives that bring economic development to the area. We have an organization made up of folks with increasing morale and a love for their work. We trust Sam, and believe she exemplifies high ethical and moral standards. We want to thank our executive director and port staff for moving the port in a good direction with visible results.”

Following the reading, there were no additional comments or explanation from the commission. The Olympian reached out to all three commissioners for comment.

“We moved forward as a commission and I support that,” said Evans Harding, adding that she doesn’t want to be disrespectful of the commission.

However, she said as a commissioner she will “still do what is right” and is committed to being transparent with the community.

Downing said it was totally appropriate for the commission to let the community know how they feel about Sam, and it’s important that the commission speak with one voice, he said.

Commissioner Iyall said he was in favor of the statement, supports it and wants to see Gibboney continue as executive director. He acknowledged that the statement was a “reaction,” not only to what happened last week but to the negative publicity that has surrounded the port the past couple of years.

Iyall said the commission needed to send a message to protect and promote the clients, stakeholders and others who do business with the port.

“It’s important that we are a cohesive unit and support the leadership in the management office,” he said.

Although the commission voiced support for Gibboney’s leadership, others do not share that confidence.

Last summer, two dozen employees issued a statement of no confidence in Gibboney. A fledgling union known as Local 47B also has been frequently critical of management, and a former director-level employee at the port recently filed a tort claim against the organization, alleging the port was a hostile workplace.

Read Next
Read Next
Read Next
Read Next
Read Next

This story was originally published April 17, 2023 at 10:23 PM.

Rolf Boone
The Olympian
Rolf has worked at The Olympian since August 2005. He covers breaking news, the city of Lacey and business for the paper. Rolf graduated from The Evergreen State College in 1990. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER