2 arrested for setting a man on fire at Olympia homeless encampment, records show
Update: This story has been corrected to reflect different arrest days.
Two men in their 30s accused of setting a man on fire at the homeless encampment known as the Jungle are in custody, Thurston County jail information shows.
The first arrest was on Thursday. That man, 31, was booked on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault and first-degree arson.
The second man, also 31, was arrested Friday. He has been booked on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder, first-degree arson, first-degree assault and intimidating a witness, according to county information.
The arrests stem from an incident that unfolded earlier this month.
About 1 a.m. Oct. 8, Olympia police were dispatched to the 3200 block of Martin Way East where they found a 47-year-old man severely burned across his torso and face, The Olympian reported.
The man was taken to Providence St. Peter Hospital, then transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, which deals with the state’s most critical trauma cases.
Police believe the suspects confronted the victim. An argument ensued, and someone threw a chemical on the man and set it on fire, Police Lt. Paul Lower previously said.
“It was quite a horrifying scene,” he said.
This story was originally published October 20, 2024 at 3:39 PM.