Here’s why this Lacey homeless shelter is not accepting new residents for now
The city of Olympia earlier this month completed the final phase of a long-term plan to move homeless residents out of Percival Creek canyon on the city’s west side and into housing.
When the day was complete, 32 people were moved into three tiny home villages in Olympia. But not everyone found housing that day.
Some declined the offer of housing, and some who were on the list for housing could not be found, said Assistant City Manager Stacey Ray.
But some have questioned why Percival Creek campers weren’t offered housing at Maple Court, a converted motel on Quinault Drive in Lacey with about 120 rooms that is now owned and operated by the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI), which is based in Seattle.
Those advocates alleged that the shelter had vacant rooms that were not being filled.
So The Olympian set out to find the answer.
Deemed unsafe
The Olympian recently reported that Maple Court was undergoing repairs for water damage.
Vanessa Dolbee, the city of Lacey’s community and economic development director, characterized the damage as “rot,” and that the building needed shoring up with temporary support structures, she said this week.
The city issued a permit for that work about six months ago, but the city also decided it was unsafe for new residents to move into the shelter until the work was complete. Existing residents, who the city did not want to displace, were allowed to stay, but they said no to new residents, she said.
Dolbee made clear that what the city is asking of Maple Court is not unique because the city would inspect and check any new or redeveloped building for final occupancy.
The city inspected the work on Aug. 11 and found what she called “five minor corrections” that needed to be made. Since then, the city has not heard from LIHI.
“We are ready and waiting to provide that inspection as soon as they want us to come out,” said Dolbee, adding that once the work is complete, they will allow people to move into the renovated part of the building.
The Olympian also reached out to LIHI executive director Sharon Lee about the situation, but she initially couldn’t shed much light on it, other than to say there was water and roof damage and that an elevator was recently repaired.
However, she added Saturday morning that the contractor is still working on the building.
Going forward
Maple Court is now considered an enhanced shelter, but eventually it is supposed to turn into permanent supportive housing in which the rooms will have kitchenettes and residents will pay rent.
Lacey City Council member Carolyn Cox — who also is the city’s representative on the Regional Housing Council, which has oversight of the homeless response system — believes that LIHI is skilled at operating low-income housing, but not as well versed in running a shelter.
The first residents at Maple Court were largely those who had previously been camping in a public right-of-way near Interstate 5 at Sleater Kinney Road Southeast in Olympia.
LIHI, she said, applies its rules for low-income housing to a shelter and that creates friction with residents.
“It’s not a trauma-informed way of doing things,” she said.
There’s also been a lot of staff turnover at Maple Court — in a profession with an already high burnout rate — so the wrap-around social services that were planned for Maple Court have not been happening at a level we would like to see, Cox said.
Lacey does not have a direct contract with LIHI for Maple Court. Instead, that contract is between LIHI and Thurston County, and it’s set to be renewed, according to county information.
“Thurston County and LIHI are currently in negotiations regarding a new contract,” said Renae Miller, a spokeswoman for the county. “The county has amended the previous contract to provide additional funding to support operations through October 31, 2025, while negotiations take place.”
She added that “the terms of the contract and statement of work will be shared once finalized.”
Who gets to live at Maple Court?
When the former motel first opened as a shelter two years ago, it aimed to serve those coming directly out of homelessness, including individuals, couples, people with pets, seniors, veterans, and people living with disabilities, but not those under 18.
Prioritization went to:
- Persons currently residing at the property.
- Persons living in the state’s right-of-way, but only in Thurston County.
- Single adults identified through the Thurston County Coordinated Entry system.
- Single adults living in Lacey and/or Thurston County that are displaced from an unsheltered encampment who are not on the Thurston County Coordinated Entry Master List.
- Other agreed upon populations when space is available.
Source: City of Lacey