Local

Semi-truck jackknifes on I-5 in Lacey Thursday morning, causing long backup

A semi-truck carrying vehicles jackknifed on Interstate 5 in Lacey Thursday morning, resulting in a multi-car wreck and a miles-long backup.

The incident occurred at about 7:29 a.m. at milepost 109 of northbound I-5, near Martin Way East, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation.

The semi-truck struck lost control while driving too fast for conditions and following too closely to a school bus that was slowing traffic, Trooper Kameron Watts shared on X. The incident reportedly resulted in a multi-car wreck involving six cars and a school bus. Watts confirmed there were no kids on the school bus at the time of the collision.

“The semi driver tried to avoid colliding with the rear of the bus, but jackknifed instead,” Watts said on X.

A semi-truck carrying vehicles jackknifed on Interstate 5 in Lacey Thursday morning, resulting in a multi-car wreck and a miles-long traffic back up.
A semi-truck carrying vehicles jackknifed on Interstate 5 in Lacey Thursday morning, resulting in a multi-car wreck and a miles-long traffic back up. Courtesy of Washington State Department of Transportation

Watts initially said there were several complaints of injuries but only minor injures were reported. He later shared that three people were transported to an area hospital.

Troopers arrested the driver of the semi-truck on suspicion of driving a commercial vehicle without having a valid Commercial Driver's License, a gross misdemeanor, Watts said in a 10 a.m. update.

All lanes of travel were initially blocked by the jackknifed semi-truck and ensuing vehicle collisions, per WSDOT. Two lanes reopened by about 8:15 a.m. and all lanes were back open by about 10:10 a.m.

A person with a valid Commercial Driver’s License took possession of the semi-truck, Watts added.

A map showing the location of a multi-vehicle car wreck on Interstate 5 in Lacey on Thursday, Dec. 4, 2025.
A map showing the location of a multi-vehicle car wreck on Interstate 5 in Lacey on Thursday, Dec. 4, 2025. Courtesy of Washington State Department of Transportation

This story was originally published December 4, 2025 at 8:51 AM.

Martín Bilbao
The Olympian
Martín Bilbao reports on Thurston County government, courts and breaking news. He joined The Olympian in November 2020 and previously worked for The Bellingham Herald and Daily Bruin. He was born in Ecuador and grew up in California. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER