Crime

Bail set at $250,000 for man accused of kidnapping, assaulting woman in Lacey

Getty Images

A 51-year-old man accused of kidnapping and assaulting a woman in Lacey is being held in Thurston County jail in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Lacey police arrested Kevin James Stark on Saturday after a three-day search. On Monday, he pleaded not guilty to three charges in Thurston County Superior Court: first-degree kidnapping, second degree assault with sexual motivation and felony harassment.

During his arraignment, Court Commissioner Nate Kortokrax set the bail amount. In doing so, he said there existed a substantial danger Stark may commit a violent crime, fail to reappear and interfere with the case.

Lacey police announced they were searching for Stark last week and asked the public for help locating him. A tip helped Thurston County Sheriff’s Deputies find Stark on the 11000 block of Winlock Court Southeast on Saturday, The Olympian previously reported.

A probable cause statement describes the investigation into the alleged crimes from the perspective of law enforcement.

At about 2:30 p.m. March 16, Lacey officers responded to an alleged sex offense in a wooded area near Ruddell Road and Ruddell Loop.

They contacted an 18-year-old woman who previously flagged down the driver of a passing vehicle to call 911, according to the statement. She reportedly told officers a man, later identified as Stark, assaulted, strangled and forcibly removed her clothing nearby.

The woman, an opiate user, said she was looking to buy fentanyl when she met Stark at a bus stop near Fred Meyer, according to the statement. Stark, who she said she had never met before, agreed to sell her fentanyl and lured her to his tent in a wooded area.

Once there, Stark began to assault her as she described to officers and allegedly threatened to kill her. However, he eventually eased his attacks and began to apologize, she said.

Stark reportedly told her he hears voices and thinks he should get medication. At one point, the woman said she indicated she needed to use a bathroom, which she used as an opportunity to escape.

She took off running toward the road where she waived down a passing driver for help, according to the statement.

Evidence from the scene led detectives to identify the man as Stark. The women later identified her alleged kidnapper as Stark after being showed a series of photographs.

That same day, prosecutors filed charges against Stark and a judge authorized a warrant for his arrest.

The case may go to trial as soon as May, according to court records.

Kevin J. Stark
Kevin J. Stark Lacey Police Department Courtesy
Martín Bilbao
The Olympian
Martín Bilbao reports on Thurston County government, courts and breaking news. He joined The Olympian in November 2020 and previously worked for The Bellingham Herald and Daily Bruin. He was born in Ecuador and grew up in California. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER