Man fatally shot by Lacey police identified as 26-year-old Kerry Brown

An autopsy showed that 26-year-old Kerry Brown, the man fatally shot by Lacey police, died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to Thurston County Coroner Gary Warnock.

Police responded to Brown’s Lacey home, located on the 1300 block of Violet Street, at 10:24 p.m. Monday after his wife reported that he was shooting a gun and she had locked herself and three young children in the bathroom.

Officers found the 26-year-old male suspect in the street, where he fired one shot from a handgun and ran behind a closed business. The suspect came back into the roadway in the 4700 block of Lacey Boulevard SE, still armed with the handgun, according to the police.

One Lacey officer fired one shot with a rifle, and struck the suspect.

Lacey officers aided the suspect until fire personnel arrived and continued life-saving efforts.

Brown was transported to Providence St. Peter Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

His wife, Taquisha Brown, told KIRO that Kerry Brown was in a rage Monday night, but she didn’t think he was going to hurt her.

“I don't think he wanted to hurt us. If he wanted to, he very much so could have hurt us,” Taquisha Brown told KIRO.

According to a press release from Joint Base Lewis-McChord spokesman Joe Kubistek, Sgt. Kerry Brown served in an elite helicopter unit that carries Special Operations troops to dangerous places on the battlefield. He was a member of the 4th Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment.

Brown deployed to Iraq once and to Afghanistan four times on fairly short missions with the aviation regiment, according to Army Special Operations Command. He was a logistics specialist, and had spent five of his six years in the Army in Special Operations.

The Thurston County Officer Involved Critical Incident Team is investigating the incident. The team includes investigators from the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, Tumwater Police Department, Olympia Police Department, Washington State Patrol and the Lacey Police Department.

Sgt. Terence Brimmer, of the Lacey Police Department, said the investigation will likely take about two weeks, and an additional forensic investigation could take an additional two weeks.