Crime

Thurston County judge sets no bail for extradited Lacey twin accused of August murder

Alexander and Nicholas VanDuren, 32, have been charged with second-degree murder in Thurston County Superior Court. They have been accused of intentionally killing Sean Shea, a 36-year-old Kenmore man, without premeditation, on Aug. 30 at a Lacey hotel.
Alexander and Nicholas VanDuren, 32, have been charged with second-degree murder in Thurston County Superior Court. They have been accused of intentionally killing Sean Shea, a 36-year-old Kenmore man, without premeditation, on Aug. 30 at a Lacey hotel. Courtesy of Lacey Police Department.

A 32-year-old Lacey man accused of killing a Kenmore man in August outside a Lacey motel has been extradited back to Thurston County from Nevada and is being held without bail.

Nicholas VanDuren pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder while armed with a deadly weapon in Thurston County Superior Court on Thursday. North Las Vegas Police arrested him on Dec. 30 after an extended chase, The Olympian previously reported.

Lacey police announced the arrest of his fraternal twin brother, Alexander VanDuren, on Dec. 14, a day after publicly identifying the brothers as suspects. Both have been charged with the same crime.

Sean Shea, 36, died at an area hospital after being found Aug. 30 in the parking lot of a motel on the 100 block of College Street Southeast in Lacey. He left behind his partner and two children, one of which reportedly observed his assault.

In court records, prosecutors alleged the VanDuren brothers assaulted Shea after an argument. During the assault, Nicholas VanDuren allegedly struck Shea with what police believe were brass knuckles.

On Thursday, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Heather Stone requested the court set no bail for Nicholas VanDuren. In a motion filed with the court, Stone said VanDuren demonstrated a clear threat to community safety and may resort to violence again.

“The defendant initially punched the victim, knocking him to the ground, and then, while his brother prevented the victim from rising to his feet, went to his vehicle, got a weapon which appears to be brass knuckles, and then struck the victim in the head, killing him,” Stone said.

Given recent events, Stone said Nicholas VanDuren presented an extreme flight risk and may interfere with the case if released. Shea’s partner also asked the court not to release him because she feared for her family’s safety.

Judge Sharonda Amamilo partially agreed with Stone and set no bail until further notice. She also barred Nicholas VanDuren from contacting his brother, relatives of Shea or any witnesses.

In her order, Amamilo did not find that Nicholas VanDuren is likely to commit a violent crime if released. This matter will be decided after he and his attorney have a chance to respond to Stone’s motion to deny bail.

Amamilo set a preliminary trial date for April 17.

Alexander VanDuren pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder on Dec. 15, according to court records. Court Commissioner Nathan Kortokrax set bail at $1 million that same day after deciding that he may commit a violent crime if released.

Alexander VanDuren’s trial date has been scheduled for April 10, court records should.

The Thurston County jail roster indicates both brothers were being held there as of Friday.

This story was originally published February 27, 2023 at 5:00 AM.

Martín Bilbao
The Olympian
Martín Bilbao reports on Thurston County government, courts and breaking news. He joined The Olympian in November 2020 and previously worked for The Bellingham Herald and Daily Bruin. He was born in Ecuador and grew up in California. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER