Crime

Eatonville softball coach charged with dealing in child sexual-abuse material

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • An Eatonville man has been charged with sending and soliciting child sexual-abuse material.
  • The 37-year-old youth softball coach allegedly used the messaging app, Kik.
  • Brock Maxwell, who has coached other children’s sports in the past, has pleaded not guilty.

A 37-year-old Eatonville man who coaches his young daughter’s softball team and has been involved in other youth sports is facing felony charges for allegedly sending and soliciting child sexual-abuse material on a messaging app, according to court records.

Brock Maxwell was charged Aug. 1 with four counts of first-degree dealing in depictions of a minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct, Pierce County Superior Court records show. A plea of not guilty was entered on his behalf during an Aug. 1 arraignment. He was released from custody after posting $250,000 bail, court records show.

Maxwell allegedly used the app Kik to ask for and send child sexual-abuse material between May 1 and June 1, portraying himself as a 33-year-old woman in chats with other users, according to Pierce County Sheriff’s Office investigative records attached in a court filing.

An attorney, who’s identified in court records as representing Maxwell, could not be reached for comment Wednesday and didn’t return a message left with a person at their law office by this story’s deadline.

After Seattle police received a tip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the case was transferred to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office when it was discovered the alleged perpetrator lived in Eatonville, law enforcement records show.

Maxwell was allegedly linked by IP addresses to a Kik account that uploaded 38 files depicting suspected child sexual abuse between May 18 and May 24, according to law enforcement records. The Sheriff’s Office also obtained chat logs from the account allegedly belonging to Maxwell, the records show.

In chats with others, Maxwell repeatedly indicated that he must receive child sexual-abuse material before he would send his own, a prosecutor wrote in an Aug. 1 declaration for determination of probable cause.

“It is clear from these numerous chats that the defendant is both asking for and sending out child sexual abuse material,” the charging document said.

Maxwell currently coaches his daughter’s softball team and has held other coaching positions in children’s sports in the past, charging papers said.

He has at least two daughters, approximately aged 9 and 5, according to law enforcement records.

In the wake of the charges, some parents have criticized the Eatonville Youth Sports Association for a lack of communication, according to FOX 13, which first reported on the charges. Efforts by The News Tribune to reach the association Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Maxwell was arrested July 31 at his work, a lumber company in Tacoma, according to law enforcement records. He has no prior criminal history as an adult in Pierce County, court records show.

He was previously investigated while in college for child sexual-abuse material, according to charging documents, which don’t specify details or results from that investigation. Law enforcement records said court paperwork from a prior child sexual-abuse material case involving Maxwell was located in his master-bedroom closet during execution of the search warrant related to current charges, describing the former case as a “WSP and Montgomery County Pennsylvania” matter.

Maxwell’s wife, who is identified in law enforcement records as an apparent teacher at a local elementary school, had also “found a thumb drive containing child sexual abuse material approximately five years ago,” according to charging papers, which don’t provide any further information about that incident.

This story was originally published August 7, 2025 at 9:00 AM with the headline "Eatonville softball coach charged with dealing in child sexual-abuse material."

Shea Johnson
The News Tribune
Shea Johnson is an investigative reporter who joined The News Tribune in 2022. He covers broad subject matters, including civil courts. His work was recognized in 2023 and 2024 by the Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington Chapter. He previously covered city and county governments in Las Vegas and Southern California. He received his bachelor’s degree from Cal State San Bernardino. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER