Man accused of assaulting 10-year-old girl at Lacey grocery store
Bail was set at $75,000 for a man accused of grabbing a child’s buttocks at a Lacey supermarket Sunday afternoon.
Olympia resident David T. Cristina, 26, appeared Monday in Thurston County Superior Court on two counts of first-degree child molestation. Arraignment was set for May 24.
Court documents give the following account:
Shortly before 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Lacey Police responded to a report of a sexual assault at the Safeway at 1243 Marvin Road NE. The victim’s mother reported that a man had grabbed her 10-year-old daughter’s buttocks twice while they were inside the store.
Surveillance video captured both assaults. In the second incident, the suspect walked about 30 feet toward the victim and grabbed the girl while she was within arm’s reach of her mother. He then left the store.
Lacey Police identified Cristina as a suspect based on the surveillance video, a purchase he made using a Safeway card, and a photo on his Facebook page. When interviewed by police, Cristina admitted to brushing against the victim inside the store, but denied grabbing the girl.
At Monday’s hearing, Judge Erik Price reiterated that Cristina is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty, but noted that “the court is greatly concerned about these allegations.”
North Thurston Public Schools spokeswoman Courtney Schrieve confirmed that Cristina is employed as a night custodian at Mountain View Elementary, 1900 College St. SE, where his shift takes place after school hours when students are not present. However, he has been placed on paid administrative leave. Cristina had previously worked as a night custodian at Seven Oaks Elementary School and River Ridge High School.
Schrieve said the school district is notifying parents of Mountain View students about Sunday’s arrest, and that no one has contacted the school district with any allegations against Cristina. Schrieve also confirmed that the victim in this case did not attend Mountain View.
“We’re cooperating in the investigation and taking it really seriously,” Schrieve said. “Our number one goal is to make sure kids are safe in our schools.”
Public defender John Hansen said that Cristina has no prior criminal history.
This story was originally published May 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM with the headline "Man accused of assaulting 10-year-old girl at Lacey grocery store."