Crime

Olympia man gets 15 months for March assault at Artesian Commons

A 29-year-old Olympia man was sentenced to 15 months in prison Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to a March assault at Olympia’s Artesian Commons Park.

Nathan R. Sharlow pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree assault before Thurston County Superior Court Judge James Dixon on Wednesday. He has been in custody in the Thurston County Jail since his arrest.

Deputy Prosecutor Mark Thompson said Sharlow had assaulted the victim out of the blue, and that he was much bigger than the victim.

“He was essentially sucker-punched — he did not see this coming at all,” Thompson said of the victim.

According to court documents, Olympia police responded to the Artesian Commons Park on March 17 after a man reported his friend has been assaulted.

Police contacted the victim, who said he wasn’t sure what happened. He asked officers whether his teeth were messed up, and opened his mouth to show them. Officers observed blood on the man’s lips, in his mouth and inside of his nose. One of the man’s front teeth was broken, according to court documents.

The victim was transported to Providence St. Peter Hospital.

According to court documents, the victim’s friend told officers that the victim had been “messing around” when a man known as “Native Nate” approached the victim and punched him in the face multiple times. An officer was familiar with the man known as Native Nate and identified him as Sharlow.

Officers arrested Sharlow, who denied being involved in a fight.

Officers reviewed video footage from the park, and saw Sharlow punch the victim several times. The victim had been standing against a concrete wall, and his head struck the wall each time he was punched. The victim fell to the ground, and Sharlow turned to walk away. The victim stood up, and Sharlow came back and punched him twice more.

The victim fell down again, and was eventually led from the area by an unknown woman.

Thompson said that as of mid-April, the victim was still recovering from a concussion and needed dental work.

He said Sharlow has a history of assaultive behavior, including two third-degree assault convictions that originated as second-degree assault charges. Sharlow had pleaded guilty to the lesser charges.

The 15-month sentence was a joint recommendation of Thompson and Office of Assigned Counsel attorney Phil Griffith, who represented Sharlow. Griffith urged Dixon to accept the recommendation, and said his client was taking responsibility quickly.

Griffith added alcohol had been a factor in the assault.

“I just want to say I’m sorry, I wasn’t myself when I did this,” Sharlow said. “And I’m just ready to pay my dues.”

Amelia Dickson: 360-754-5445, @Amelia_Oly

This story was originally published May 11, 2016 at 3:28 PM with the headline "Olympia man gets 15 months for March assault at Artesian Commons."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER