Saint Martin’s University staff begin moving this week into the new Father Bede Ernsdorff Center, which is being dedicated today (May 9).
The new facility will be home to the Reischman Department of Natural Sciences, named in honor of Father Placidus Reischman, who chaired the biology department from 1959 to 1987. With more than 30,000 square feet of space, the center will house classrooms, research spaces, faculty offices, the mathematics program and laboratories, including a nuclear magnetic resonance lab.
The center’s namesake was the head of the chemistry department from 1938 to 1982.
The center is scheduled to be ready for the summer class session which begins on May 28, according to Genevieve Canceko Chan, vice president of the office of marketing and communications.
The dedication ceremony is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
Saint Martin’s raised more than $10.7 million for the construction of the building, including an $800,000 grant from the Murdock Trust.