More deaths and injuries as Ukraine and Russia mount attacks
BERLIN - The Russian military has once again reported a large-scale Ukrainian drone attack during the night from Monday into Tuesday.
The Ministry of Defense in Moscow stated that 315 enemy aerial objects had been intercepted. According to the report, the drones were shot down across almost all regions of western and central Russia, including the Moscow metropolitan area.
It was widely reported that one attack targeted the Yaroslavl area on the Volga, north-east of Moscow. Governor Mikhail Yevrayev said drone debris had caused a fire at an industrial plant, according to the state news agency TASS.
The Ukrainian General Staff said the pumping station of an oil pipeline in the village of Semibratovo was damaged. This village lies on the main road from Yaroslavl to Moscow.
In addition, the Kstovo refinery in the Nizhny Novgorod region is said to have been attacked. A fire was reportedly observed there. There was no information from the Russian side regarding this alleged attack.
For months, the Ukrainian army has been systematically bombarding refineries, pumping stations and export ports belonging to the Russian oil industry. The aim is to disrupt the Russian army’s fuel supply, whilst the loss of exports is intended to deplete the Kremlin’s war chest. On Saturday night, a massive Ukrainian drone attack caused damage in the Moscow suburbs for the first time.
Reuters reported that industrial areas around Nevinnomyssk in Russia’s southern Stavropol region were under drone attack, according to a Telegram post from Governor Vladimir Vladimirov early Wednesday.
He provided no other details. The area is home to Nevinnomyssky Azot, a large chemical plant, which has been a target of drone attacks from Ukraine before.
New Russian attacks on Ukraine
The Ukrainian Air Force reported on Tuesday morning that Russia had launched an attack overnight using 209 drones of various types.
At least four people have been killed and more than 20 injured in northeastern Ukraine.
A Russian missile struck the railway hub of Pryluky, according to a Telegram message posted by Vyacheslav Chaus, governor of the Chernihiv region.
Two people were killed and at least 21 injured. The attack targeted an industrial facility. A shopping center and a neighboring supermarket were damaged.
In the small town of Hlukhiv in the Sumy region, two people were also killed in drone strikes, according to local reports. Three other people were injured. Hlukhiv lies just a few miles from the Russian border.
In the same region, 11 people were injured after Russia hit the southeastern city of Dnipro.
Russia has been waging a devastating war against its neighbor for more than four years. Ukraine is defending itself with Western military aid, but increasingly also with its own weapons.
Copyright 2026 Tribune Content Agency. All Rights Reserved.
This story was originally published May 19, 2026 at 7:01 AM.