Outdoors

Boston Harbor boat launch to close for months during prime recreation season

Boaters won’t be able to launch from the Boston Harbor Access Area for months because of construction starting Monday and running through November.
Boaters won’t be able to launch from the Boston Harbor Access Area for months because of construction starting Monday and running through November. toverman@theolympian.com

Boaters won’t be able to launch from the Boston Harbor Access Area for months because of construction starting Monday.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife intends to close the access area, near Boston Harbor Marina, through November for safety and site improvements, according to a Thursday news release.

Boaters frequent the access area in the summer months for fishing and other water activities. The site is jointly owned and managed by the WDFW and Thurston County.

The project is starting on Monday, May 8, to take advantage of summer low tides, according to the news release. Doing so will help protect fish and habitat, it says.

“We recognize that this closure is happening during prime recreation season, and it will impact boaters in the South Sound,” said Matt Blankenship, WDFW Assistant Regional Wildlife Program Manager.

Construction is needed to replace a boat ramp that is in poor condition and to build a more accessible loading platform, according to the release. Additionally, workers will be paving and striping the parking area and installing new toilets.

“The upgrades we are making now will mean a much more user-friendly and safe experience in the future,” Blankenship said.

WDFW expects the improvements will cost $930,000, according to the project website. Funding has been provided through a grant from the Washington State Recreation Conservation Office.

Boaters still looking to get on the water can visit Luhr’s Landing at the Nisqually Delta, Zittel’s Marina on Johnson Point and Swantown Marina in downtown Olympia.

Martín Bilbao
The Olympian
Martín Bilbao reports on Thurston County government, courts and breaking news. He joined The Olympian in November 2020 and previously worked for The Bellingham Herald and Daily Bruin. He was born in Ecuador and grew up in California. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER