West Thurston Regional Fire Authority rescued two dogs from a burning home just before noon Wednesday, the agency wrote on its Facebook page.
A fire broke out after the owners of the home on the 17000 block of Sargent Road Southwest in Rochester had left for the day. The two dogs — Zip, an Australian Shepherd and Faith, a Heeler — went into the bathroom, shut the door and climbed into the bathtub.
The post says the two dogs are self-trained to go to the bathroom and shut the door, and responded that way after sensing danger.
A neighbor called 911 at about 11:25 a.m. Wednesday to report the fire. When firefighters arrived, they contained the fire to one room before finding the two dogs in the bathtub unconscious.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters brought the dogs outside, treating them with pet oxygen masks. Both dogs were transported to Scatter Creek Animal Clinic, and regained consciousness and were breathing on their own after arrival.
The veterinarian staff treated the dogs for smoke inhalation and reunited them with their owners.