Bail set for suspects in Percival Landing shooting of teen
A Thurston County Superior Court Judge set bail at $100,000 Monday for two suspects in a shooting near Percival Landing in downtown Olympia Friday that left a 16-year-old boy in critical condition.
The boy’s condition has since been upgraded to stable, according to Olympia Police Lt. Paul Lower, and he was recovering at Providence St. Peter Hospital as of Tuesday.
Police originally told The Olympian three suspects were booked in the shooting, one adult and two juveniles. However, according to court records, two of the suspects are adults: Marcus M. Moore, 20, and Dustin L. Smith, 18. The third suspect is identified in court documents as W.P.
Officers responded to the shooting at a parking lot adjacent to Percival Landing just after 4 p.m. Friday, according to The Olympian’s reporting.
According to a prosecutor’s statement of probable cause:
A witness at the scene told officers he had arranged to buy a handgun, and that two friends came with him.
Moore, Smith, and W.P. pulled into the parking lot in a pickup truck driven by a fourth person, according to the statement.
When the group approached the truck, the witness told officers he handed W.P. $250 in exchange for a pistol without a magazine in it. Then, W.P. asked for the pistol back, loaded it, and told the witness to step away from the truck.
The witness tried to grab his money back and turned to run, then heard a gunshot and realized one of his friends had been shot, according to the statement.
Officers arrived to find a bystander with military medic training had applied a tourniquet to the 16-year-old victim’s leg.
“... if the Samaritan had not applied the tourniquet, it is likely the victim would have bled out very quickly,” the statement reads.
Officers later found all three suspects at Moore’s Lacey residence, along with a 9mm and a .380 caliber pistol, according to the statement — police originally told The Olympian in a previous report that the suspects were arrested at two separate residences.
According to the statement, the driver of the truck told police Moore and W.P. couldn’t figure out who had shot the victim, but that Moore was “fairly sure he had.”
Moore told police they had planned to rob the witness, not sell him the pistol, when they got into the truck. He said Smith shot the victim, and that it was Smith’s gun offered in the sale.
Smith told police Moore was the one who shot the victim, with his 9mm handgun, according to the statement.
Officers found a spent 9mm pistol casing on the scene.
Police believe Moore shot the 16-year-old boy, according to Lt. Lower, and the other two suspects were arrested as suspected accomplices. Tuesday, Lower told The Olympian the driver of the truck hadn’t been booked on any charges.
Thurston County Superior Court Judge Carol Murphy found probable cause to charge both Moore and Smith with first-degree robbery (attempted) and first-degree assault.
According to court records, Moore posted bail Tuesday. Thurston County jail records show Smith was still in custody.
Both Moore’s and Smith’s arraignments are scheduled for April 7 at 9 a.m.
Lower said police are still investigating the case and processing evidence, and that other charges and suspects are possible.